Mass for Shut-ins Episode 002 should be available by the time you read this! I took everyone's feedback very seriously on the enjoyable but technically amateurish Episode 001. To emphasize that I am not blowing smoke up your ass, here are the major changes:
1. I invested in some soundproofing panels (not to mention old pillows, towels, and blankets) to cover all the walls in my closet. It became a very effective homemade soundproofed room, which cut the echo down to effectively zero.
2. I installed a number of basic effects and solicited advice from podcasters who get a good sound to figure out the best settings. Noticeable improvement.
3. The segments are in a different order that I think makes more sense.
4. The completed episode is shorter by about 13 minutes (40 instead of 53). I worked with outlines of each segment and got more to the point.
5. One segment was recorded "on location" for variety (You will understand the airquotes shortly)
6. It is mixed better and more consistenly, so there's less variation in volume, tone, etc throughout.
7. I did not have pneumonia for half the segments.
On my wish list of things to improve going forward: recording interviews is still tricky, and you will definitely notice a weird echo or two in the interview with Seth Wilson. However, I'm happy with the content and the technical problems will continue to work out. The more I do this, the more I will be able to avoid problems like that.